A place to share resources, events, stories of our lives together in mission.

Starting the middle of this month, the MSN website will feature one of the 4 goals identified in the 2007 Bishop's Commission on Mission Strategy report. Spiritual Transformation, Goal #1, is the focus in January and you are invited to share information about the spiritual practicies/renewal present in your own life and in your congregation. The MSN team working on goal #1 is particularly interested in your experience with Gospel-Based Discipleship and spiritual gifts' discernment. As for the last 6 1/2 years of my own life, I have been spending the first 30-minutes each day writing "morning pages". This practice has produced eleven 500-page notebooks of mostly insignificant musings, but emerging now and then are words of profound healing, hope, forgiveness, delight, solutions to problems and problems needing solutions. I rarely re-read them and seldom share them as they are really tangible signs of my personal prayer life. They have and do spiritually transform me, my relationships with others and scripture and with God.

Views: 117

Replies to This Discussion

I am the CPN and a delegate representing St John the Evangelist in St Paul. Activities at St John's that are encompassed by the Goal 1 strategy "Spiritual Transformation & Fuller Participation in God's Mission" These activities definitely have contributed to our growth,
* We are raising the funds to build a medical clinic in Kayoro, Uganda
* We have a very multi faceted music program
* We are a shelter for the homeless in Feb.
* Our building is a neighborhood resource for groups like a youth basketball league, Alanon, AA etc
* Project Kathleen, sponsors family's that need help relocating to this area.
* We have a prayer chain group
* Work with Habitat for Humanity
* Weekly Bible study group
* Sponser an annulal youth missionary trip, have formal confirmation classes & use the church for TEC.
* Members are asked as part of the annual Stewardship campaign for their participation of Time & Talents
* Our semi annual Huge Sale is a neighborhood event that exposes the church to non members.
I know there are more things we can and will do but I feel that these activities create an positive upbeat image and has build membership and is our "Spiritual Transformation and Participation in God's Mission" work.
May God help and direct us in the renewal of the Episcopal church in Minnesota.
Robert Horn said:
I am the CPN and a delegate representing St John the Evangelist in St Paul. Activities at St John's that are encompassed by the Goal 1 strategy "Spiritual Transformation & Fuller Participation in God's Mission" These activities definitely have contributed to our growth,
* We are raising the funds to build a medical clinic in Kayoro, Uganda
* We have a very multi faceted music program
* We are a shelter for the homeless in Feb.
* Our building is a neighborhood resource for groups like a youth basketball league, Alanon, AA etc
* Project Kathleen, sponsors family's that need help relocating to this area.
* We have a prayer chain group
* Work with Habitat for Humanity
* Weekly Bible study group
* Sponser an annulal youth missionary trip, have formal confirmation classes & use the church for TEC.
* Members are asked as part of the annual Stewardship campaign for their participation of Time & Talents
* Our semi annual Huge Sale is a neighborhood event that exposes the church to non members.
I know there are more things we can and will do but I feel that these activities create an positive upbeat image and has build membership and is our "Spiritual Transformation and Participation in God's Mission" work.
May God help and direct us in the renewal of the Episcopal church in Minnesota.

Bob, sounds like members of St. John's are actively listening to the Holy Spirit and discerning many ways to "participate more fully in God's mission in the world" as the BCMS report states. From singing in the building to opening the space to the homeless, to pledging spiritual gifts and money for people in Uganda, St. John's is expanding their hearts and their resources. thanks for sharing your story.
At St. Nicholas we have been engaged in a two year Visioning Process which produced a new Mission Statement and two Vision Statements. One of these vision statements relates directly to Goal #1 -- "Reaching deeply into our church community, striving together for a greater understanding of our religious and spiritual life." We live out this statement through a number of ongoing programs, and we continue to add new ones. We have two Gospel Based Discipleship groups, an Adventures in Spirituality group, an Adult Education group that examines spirituality through the teachings of a variety of scholars, a bi-monthly Contemplative Service on Friday evening, a labyrinth and a house group. We are just beginning a Dream Group. It seems that the more experiences we provide the more ideas come forward.

Sue Bennitt
St. Nicholas, Richfield
Susan Bennitt said:
At St. Nicholas we have been engaged in a two year Visioning Process which produced a new Mission Statement and two Vision Statements. One of these vision statements relates directly to Goal #1 -- "Reaching deeply into our church community, striving together for a greater understanding of our religious and spiritual life." We live out this statement through a number of ongoing programs, and we continue to add new ones. We have two Gospel Based Discipleship groups, an Adventures in Spirituality group, an Adult Education group that examines spirituality through the teachings of a variety of scholars, a bi-monthly Contemplative Service on Friday evening, a labyrinth and a house group. We are just beginning a Dream Group. It seems that the more experiences we provide the more ideas come forward.

Sue Bennitt
St. Nicholas, Richfield

Sue, thanks for telling St. Nicholas, Richfield, story around spiritual transformation. That's exciting that there are 2 Gospel-Based Discipleship groups. When do they meet and how long have they been meeting? What are some of the books the Adult Education group has used? And I love your last sentence - that the more we open ourselves for the Holy Spirit to transform us, the more the Holy Spirit feeds us and points us to new experiences. Thanks for that insight.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Episcopal Church in Minnesota.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service